Tips & Advice: How to choose pendant lights for kitchen
Kitchen lights should not only be decorative, but also tend to be more functional. Looking for a hardworking light source for your kitchen that offers both function and form? Try kitchen pendant lighting.
Here are some tips and advice on how to choose pendant lights for kitchen an kitchen island.
1. Height & Spacing of Pendant Lights Over a Kitchen Island
While the decorative options for pendant lights are vast, installation is also a key factor to consider for pendant lighting.
- Pendants should hang 12-20 inches below an 8-foot ceiling. For each additional foot of ceiling height, add 3 inches. For example, for a 9-foot ceiling, the pendant should hang 15-23 inches below.
- The pendant height can also be measured up from the surface below the light; provide a 30- to 36-inch clearance above tables and countertops. This is the most practical height, especially for pendants used for task lighting.
- Pendants should be hung over work surfaces at a height that doesn't block views across the kitchen.
- Consider dimmers and switches that offer opportunities to adjust the level of light to suit a task or mood.
2. HOW Many Pendants Should I Place Above My Kitchen Island?
Some people might tell you that you should have one pendant per stool you have at your island. Ignore that! I think having three stools and two lights is much more interesting.
If your island is more than 10' long and want to use smaller pendants, and/or if you need the extra light are the only situations where you’d consider going with three.
3. About the Brightness
Pendant fixtures with retractable cords are easily adjustable to suit lighting for different tasks. Retract the light for allover diffused light, or pull it close for intimate dining.
Long-lasting, energy-efficient, and dimmable lightbulbs are available in an assortment of attractive styles. Choose the bulb that best suits your lighting purposes for the pendant. Color and intensity influence the mood of the kitchen and the effectiveness of the light, whether its purpose is overall, task, or accent lighting.